3/12/07

'Nankoweap Noon'



30x40 oil on canvas

I am posting a painting which no longer exists.. it has been reworked with major revisions and several months of work had to be painted over. There are many layers in this work.. and I will post the revised version with many more layers on top of these.. the canvas is considerably heavier than a blank one.

Why did I have to rework it??  Because I did not do a drawing before I started this large piece.. only a small thumbnail with some shapes. This subject should have had a detailed drawing done before picking up a brush.. not to scale but at least a large sketchbook study. 

The Grand Canyon is not a landscape for impatient painters!  All the many parts must follow the law of perspective when doing contemporary realism. Usually I can draw well.. I spent many years only drawing as an art form and not painting.. but on this.. I did not do my homework and I paid for it. I could have had another two large paintings done in the time I spent correcting this one. I had to redraw shapes to conform to not only linear perspective.. but also the colors of all those pieces had to recess with aerial perspective. You will see when I post the newly completed 'Nankoweap Noon' the differences a few changes in composition will make to the overall feel.

So all you artists out there.. if you want to do the smart thing.. do your homework!